Watercolour Painting Habit

 

watercolour of boats and houses
Yesterday was Sunday and we were relaxing at home. I decided to do a quick sketch and paint it with watercolour paint. I didn't want to create a masterpiece or do something complex. I chose a picture on Pinterest because it looked easy to practise with. I also didn't want to use expensive paper either.

The picture above is the result of my efforts. I first did the sketch in pencil and then added the blue and grey watercolour paint. Since it was just a little exercise I grabbed my Faber-Castell paints and added the colours. As I said, the aim was to practise and not to create a wonderful painting. I still get satisfaction from doing things like that.

I have just watched a YouTube video on Atomic Habits by James Clear. Near the end he said that if you want to become a writer, you must not just write a book. That does not make you a writer. If you want to become a writer, you must write! Therefore, if you want to become a painter/artist, you must paint. You need to do that often and consistantly.

Forming the habit day by day, action by action, enables you to build up the necessary practise to let you end up being what you want to become. It sounds crazy but that is how you change into what you want to become. I am glad that I watched his video. Maybe I will go and buy his book. Then I will also put the actions in to build the habits I want.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Started Watercolour Painting

Karate - Self Defense at Shorei Martial Arts Academy (Kempton Park)

French Toast for Mom