I Had a Dream


Last Night I had a Dream


Ron at D & DH Fraser Ltd.

The Good Bible says that in the last days old men will dream dreams. Just mentioning that to sketch a better picture about the subject of dreams I recall a dream that Jacob had.

“And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven; and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it. And behold, the LORD stood beside him, and said: 'I am the LORD, the God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac.” Wikipedia.

“Joseph had a dream, and when he told it to his brothers, they hated him all the more. We were binding sheaves of grain out in the field when suddenly my sheaf rose and stood upright, while your sheaves gathered around mine and bowed down to it." His brothers said to him, "Do you intend to reign over us?” Bible Gateway.

“Soon after the visit by the Magi, an angel appeared to Joseph in a dream telling him to flee to Egypt with Mary and the infant Jesus since King Herod would seek the child to kill him.” Wikipedia.

This is the first time I have done a “dreams” search on Google. It appears to be a whole subject on its own – very fascinating indeed. Anyway, so this dream prompted me to write an article as a prelude to my book which is taking too long to write, type out and do a layout for the online version.

The Dream

Tom Mundell decided to print a leaflet and distribute them to people in Ethiopia. This came to the attention of Bob Williams, the Managing Director of D & DH Fraser Ltd. In my dream Tom was a buyer for some department. Luella Wallace, another buyer (Ladieswear) was upset by Tom’s actions and complained bitterly about it.

I was called into the middle of this argument to subdue the situation and to give the other buyers an opportunity to also follow Tom Mundell’s brilliant example. This was my real job when I worked at Frasers, and I loved it with all my heart. I had never had a job like that before – ever. It was a place where we were a big family and all of us were always performing at our best. Every single one of us fitted perfectly into the job that we had to do. But like a family there was rivalry and jealousy and other shenanigans going on as well. But we loved it!

On my first day at Frasers, I visited each department to get to know the company better. I went upstairs to the first floor and found the Textiles Department. When I entered the manager’s office, I found him to be rather hostile. I can’t remember his exact words, but he wasn’t pleasant when he first spoke to me. It was almost like he was challenging me and my new position in “his” company. Because I kept my composure and stood my ground his whole attitude changed, and he turned out to be one of my friends. His name was Charles.  I guess that must have been a test or a prank on his part.

It's difficult to explain what it was like to people who had never worked in that company. Besides the occasional drama we were doing so well that the company was placed in the top 100 companies in South Africa. This was a prestige that was watched closely by the top management to ensure that we always did better, no matter what.

So, why did I dream this dream? Well, yesterday evening, Bertie, my friend phoned me and asked how my building was coming along. Like him I am into creating radio-controlled aeroplanes. I told him that I actually need to buy an engine for a kit that I bought recently. He went into various options but told me that he would send me an email with a link to a Facebook page where I could enquire about what I needed.

Here's the thing. The shop Bertie recommended is called Frasers Radio Control Models. Hence, a prompt for my dream about Frasers. But that caused me to think about my book writing and typing and my friends asking when it will be finished so that they can read it. I don’t blame you guys and girls. Even I can’t wait for the book to be finished. I got up early this Friday morning – 2:30 am to be exact and started typing.

When I’m writing or typing my book I enter into the world of my past as if I am really there. Some things are clear and other memories are faint, but I am there in my thoughts as if it is real. I do believe that the MD, Bob Williams, and the Sales Manager, Aubrey Silver, were pretty good at judging character and talents because everyone at Frasers was the right fit. They believed I could create catalogues for their reps even when I didn’t know what that was all about, and I had never done anything like that before. They just sensed I was right for the job. They turned out to be right. I went on to do far more than I ever could have imagined I was capable of.

Other special people were the folks I worked with. Every single one of them was important to me and I was there to serve them. I could name all of them here in my article, but I hope that deep down in their hearts they must know who they are. You are important to me. More than you will ever know. You helped shape me into the Ron I needed to be. I send lots of love to you now.

When times are good, we tend to take things for granted. However, one thing’s for sure, we can never go back to that time. Only in our thoughts and dreams. So, Tom Mundell, you were a buyer in my dream! Everyone else, I visited you in my past last night and today. I hope you also went back a bit in time whilst reading this. I know there’s much more in our memories than these few words. But it’s just a visit for now.

Thanks for reading. Maybe you can pass it along to some of our other friends. I wish you all well. The book is coming along. It’s now just after 5 am.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Started Watercolour Painting

I Painted a Horse

The Answer to Trouble