Just Another Day

As the sun kissed the distant rooftops, we set out on our bicycles, eager to experience the freedom and escape from the day's stress that cycling brings. The gentle breeze made everything feel lighter, and the world seemed to slow down. At the first corner of the field, two tiny chihuahuas burst out barking and chased after me. I picked up speed, laughing at their determination, and they eventually gave up the pursuit.

When I told Maggie (my wife) I was going to ride to get some fresh air, she didn’t hesitate—she switched off her computer and started pulling on her riding gear. She needs no invitation when it comes to cycling. At the next corner, we entered a tunnel of shade beneath the trees and felt the temperature drop considerably. Maggie called it the cold road, and we both shivered with delight. Next, we cruised slightly downhill and accelerated, picking up speed as laughter echoed between us.

Another corner brought us back into a sunny patch as we passed Java, our dog, who watched us from the yard with unmistakable jealousy and longing. Ahead, the two pesky little chihuahuas appeared once again. This time, the skinny one darted toward my ankles, nipping at the air, but I managed to dodge her quick moves. She was too clever to get within range, so I laughed and pedalled harder, finally breaking free from their game.

At the next corner, we entered the shade once more and moved faster toward the other side, where the sun warmed our backs. We turned left and did another round, but this time the two little chihuahua "terrorists" were nowhere to be seen. As we passed their house, though, we spotted them peeking through the fence. I decided to surprise them and pretended to charge. The braver one bolted back inside with a yelp, and for once, the yard was silent.

Finally, we circumnavigated the field and rolled up to our front gate again, grinning and a little out of breath. Adrenaline still pumped as we stored our bikes, and a sense of calm settled over us. The mouthwatering aroma of roasted chicken wafted from the kitchen, welcoming us home. We exchanged a smile—can life be simpler or better than that?

Java was our dog’s name. Our youngest son moved his family to a complex where no dogs were allowed, so he asked if we could take care of her for a while. She was hyperactive and barked a lot at first, but I eventually got her used to her surroundings, and she calmed down a lot. I believe a dog will listen to you if you show her who the leader of the pack is.

I wish our neighbours would give their dogs the love and attention they need, which would help them bark less. They don’t know that when they go to work, their beloved pets cry sadly and become noisy because they feel abandoned. Maybe one day they will take care of them, but for now it’s just another day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Super 7 Family MTB Team

Great White Shark

Reliable Aerial Lift Platforms