Smile - Because You Can


girl dancing

When deciding on a name for my blog, I came up with the title “New Dimensions” in 2011. That was 15 years ago. It was something new that I challenged myself to do. I wanted to see whether people would like to read what I wrote. Boy, was I surprised. People from all over the world visited my blog to read my articles. Sometimes I just wrote about my thoughts on life or experiences I had.

On other occasions, I wrote about what other people did for a living - the businesses they started. It was a wonderful experience that helped me grow.

I did not try to impress people or monetize my blog to enrich myself. I just intended to share my thoughts and experiences with others. They came from places I never imagined, from every continent. I found that amazing, and it inspired me to keep going.

All the time, I was desperate to improve my writing skills. My son bought me a book on the subject. Recently, I wrote to the author to tell her how her writing prompt exercises motivated me to keep trying. I did because she said to. Then I wrote to her. She responded in such an encouraging way that astounded me. I told her how kind she was.

That was another new dimensional experience for me. I took a chance, not knowing whether she would answer. That experience enriched me when I moved beyond my comfort zone.

I sit alone in the dark at 5:00 a.m. with only my computer keyboard for light as I type this post. The outside world is silent, the city still resting, while my thoughts wake before the dawn. Being an early riser, I can’t wait to do something exceptional in the early morning because that sets the mood for the rest of my day. My energy stems from my will to enjoy every waking moment of my blessed life, and I treasure these calm moments of reflection before the world stirs.

Yes, I take responsibility for my attitude. When I feel down, I change that because no one else is going to rush to rescue me from self-pity. Being motivated and positive is my way of life. I also watch my words and the thoughts that go through my mind because they are powerful tools. They can lift you or bring you down. The same goes for your words.

Someone posted a notice on social media that says something like this: “We ourselves actually built our surrounding walls.” We decide who we allow in, and we don’t go beyond the mental blocks we build ourselves. If we choose to believe we can accomplish everything (as the greatest book of life states), then we embrace the courage to go beyond our experiences and self-imposed limits into the exciting realm of exploration and new dimensions, relishing new things that help us grow. As the saying goes, “Who dares, wins.”

So here I am, expecting new possibilities for the day as the birds outside sing of the same thing. Their song gently reminds us that each day provides a fresh start and unlimited possibilities. They look forward to this day with the same expectation. Let your mind be free of all cares and know that our Shepherd watches over us with great expectancy and admiration, like a parent fussing over her newborn baby. Even nature seems to celebrate the gift of a new day, encouraging us to welcome it fully.

Life is not a one-person show. It’s a joint venture between people, with our Maker lending a huge helping hand. The farmer who cares for his crops and milks the cows made sure I could walk to my fridge and get milk for my cereal this morning. When I pull out of the driveway to visit a client and stop for petrol, I can thank someone in another part of the world for extracting oil from the depths of the earth. Without them, it would be a tedious bike ride.

Speaking of cycling, I went for an afternoon ride in our neighbourhood. As I passed a creche, a little girl about 3-4 years old looked at me from the side of the road, raised her hand, and pointed towards me. Then she gave me the most beautiful smile while looking at me with awe. Maybe she thought I was someone she knew; I don’t know.

That act of kindness really impressed me tremendously. I will never forget that. It was almost as if she was saying, “I see you and like what you are doing.” Next to her were her older sister in a school uniform and her mother, who came to fetch her; she also turned to me and smiled because of her. That was inspiring.

So, when we contemplate life with all its nuances, we must acknowledge everyone's importance, as others keep us from getting lost. Yes, even the “lesser” folks or the people we call “they” when we say, “they say,” or anyone else, are also important. Maybe we will look at life differently and give “them” a smile even when we think “they” don’t deserve it or matter.

Everyone matters. They are here on Earth for a purpose. That includes you. Someone created you in a delightful, wonderful way, and you exist for a reason. You can do wonderful things that impact others, often in ways you might never realize. You have that power. Your smile or kindness, even once a day, can change the lives of many people around you. If you do that consistently, wow, you would be really something special. Someone people would admire and appreciate tremendously. Sometimes, the tiniest gestures create the biggest impact, rippling outward in ways we could not fully see.

If you would like to leave a comment about this, please do. I thank you for reading my blog. Sharing is caring - pass it forward to a friend.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Super 7 Family MTB Team

Great White Shark

Life's Opposites