Karate Memories

Karate man kicking

 When I was very young and still in primary school we lived in a small mining town in the northern Cape. Once a week we used to go to the club and attend classes in different sports. On one of those evenings, I walked into the large hall and was amazed to see that there were karate classes on offer. I immediately enrolled.

First on the agenda the instructor started teaching us some basic moves which he called katas. From there on it was a regular thing, katas, and more katas. It was quite enjoyable, and I was getting quite good at it. I can’t remember what happened but after a while those classes stopped. 

It was some time after that that I went to the movies and saw how the guys were using karate to defend themselves. There were the Karate Kid, Rush Hour and Shanghai Noon by Jackie Chan, and Enter the Dragon by Bruce Lee. Who could forget seeing Chuck Norris? 

Yesterday, I was browsing You Tube and noticed a video about Chuck Norris who was commenting on Bruce Lee’s death. Chuck was also a well-known martial arts expert. Apparently, he became friends with Bruce Lee and motivated him to practise kicking above the waist and for the opponent’s head. 

One of the things about Bruce Lee was his lightning speed and reflexes. It was really nice to see him in action again. I really admired the kind of commitment people put into their karate training.

A few years ago, I met Tony De Beer of Shorei Martial Arts Academy (link to his website) who holds the rank of Eighth Dan and is an expert in Goju Ryu Karate, Kobudo and Self Defence. He recently travelled to Portugal for 10 days (Nov/Dec 2023) and taught karate at a 4-day Gasshuku. Despite his age he still teaches classes to young and old – I admire him for that.

Karate is a sport or lifestyle that I like because it teaches you discipline. When necessary, you will be able to defend yourself and you have to keep fit which is also beneficial. I know that there is far more to Karate than what I have mentioned but I just wanted to express my appreciation for the sport and the people I have mentioned. They have my respect.

The picture I added at the top is one of my watercolour paintings that I created when I started with that hobby a year ago. I added the figure of the karate guy kicking to it because I like the setting. I hope some of you do too.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Started Watercolour Painting

I Painted a Horse

The Answer to Trouble