Let's Keep Our Kids Safe In School (Charlotte Roth)

Wear Orange on June 2

I received this email from the author of Holding On To Hurt, Charlotte Roth, with the heading: Let's Keep Our Kids Safe In School. Below is the contents of her email and I thought it appropriate to mention it on my blog.

100% all of proceeds to charity!
During the entire month of June, I will be donating all the proceeds of my new book to charity. I will also wear my orange t-shirt to honor the more than 90 lives cut short every day. And to honor all the parents, kids, brothers, and sisters who have lost a loved one to gun violence.


Holding On To Hurt - Charlotte Roth

June 2nd is National Gun Violence Awareness Day, and I have decided to help raise awareness AND money by donating all of June proceeds to Sandy Hook Promise--a nonprofit organization founded by the Sandy Hook victims' families. Their mission is to raise awareness and implement kindness programs in schools and local communities. I am a Promise leader myself and this is my way of helping. I hope you will join me, support and raise awareness. The ebook is only 2.99 and 100% of the proceeds will be donated (it also comes in a good old paperback).

The inspiration for Holding on to Hurt... I'm stepping out of my usual lightweight/humorous genre here. And I am for sure stepping out of my comfort zone. It’s not that I like crying for every other word I put down on paper, but I do like to write from my heart. I do like to write about real life and, sadly, this is what life hands us sometimes. It was a few days after the terrible Sandy Hook tragedy. I was watching Obama’s speech surrounded by my little ones, our hands tightly knitted together. I was doing okay, wiping away a silent tear here and there. But when Obama started reading out loud the names of those little angels, I totally broke down in tears. As a mother, this is the worst nightmare I can ever imagine—your precious baby huddled on the floor, scared to death... The image is too strong to bear…That day, my heart was bleeding together with everyone else’s. And I knew that, one day, I had to tell the story—not about Sandy Hook but a story that could express the frustration, anger, helplessness, and hurt I was feeling and still feel about the senseless school shootings that take place way too often and the grief and suffering it brings about. Finally, about three years later, I sat down and put my pen to paper. It took a lot of courage. It took a lot of heart-breaking research about shootings, grief counseling, and coma patients. And it took a lot of tears....I cry because I am a mother first. I cry with and for all the grieving mothers who had to live through this and I hope that no one ever has to suffer a tragedy like this again. With this book, I hope to raise awareness: (School) shootings are not just headlines or statistics. Behind each and every one of them, there is a sister, father, brother,  or a mom.❤️

Thanks for visiting my blog. As you can see I unselfishly promote other people and their work. I get a kick out of helping others. Please support Charlotte Roth by buying her book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Started Watercolour Painting

I Painted a Horse

The Answer to Trouble